There’s one thing about the French I will NEVER get sick of. It’s … yes you said it… their toast!!
French Toast is the ultimate in comfort food. You can dress it up any way you like. As you readers know I try and keep things on the lighter side–without depriving myself of delicious-ness.
This is my uber healthy Fall French toast–and you will–fall that is.
Whole wheat bread (fluffier is better–preferably some kind of multi-grain)
Pumpkin butter (or any kind of flavored topping you like)
Light whip (if you are feeling naughty)
Agave (instead of syrup)
Light or skim milk (I buy Fat Free Lactaid because it’s a little sweet–no I’m not lactose intolerant)
Olive oil or spray
1. Get out a bowl and mix two eggs, a splash of milk, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
2. Bathe the bread in the yolky liquid mixture on both sides til it’s soaked.
3. Pour a small amount of olive oil or spray on the pan
4. Take the bread–bathed in the liquid mix–and fry each side until browned
5. Put finished pieces in the oven if you want to keep them warm until ready to be served
6. chop bananas and fry them until browned
7. Serve French toast with a dollop of Pumpkin Butter, Agave on the side and the whip (this is your opportunity to be creative)
Serve on Saturday morning–to hungry patrons you love–and watch morning weekend Cartoons together (Pixar). After indulging go out and enjoy your weekend–away from the computer!