Cooking always puts me in a good mood. So it was no surprise that when I woke up a little groggy the other morning, being in the kitchen gave me a much needed boost of energy.
Since I am a French Toast fanatic I decided to cook up Persimmon Rose Petal Sugar French Toast (let’s just call it PERPS–since it’s such a long title!).
This recipe is really delicious, fast and pretty!
The ingredients aren’t difficult to find–but you might have to order the Rose Sugar if you want to dress it up a little.
1 ripe persimmon
1 half cup skim milk (any milk will do)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon rose petal sugar
3 chocolate graham cookies or graham crackers (Trader Joe’s has assorted types of low-fat, low-calorie bite size cookies)
dollop of light whip
olive oil spray
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
whole grain bread
1. Mix together eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract
2. In a blender puree the persimmon (after removing inside core)
3. Add mixture from #1 to blender and blend that baby
4. Pour blended mixture into a large bowl
5. Spray the pan w/olive oil spray and put on medium-high heat
6. Soak the bread in the bowl on both sides til thoroughly moist
7. Using a spatula, fry bread in pan on both sides until brown
8. Put cooked French Toast in oven at 250 degrees to keep it warm
9. Use any remaining persimmon pieces to decorate the plate
10. Put a dollop of light whip on top of French Toast and if so desired add a spritzel of rose sugar and cinnamon
11. Crumble a few of your chocolate animal cookies and graham cracker and spritzel over the top and around the periphery of the bowl